Book: Head Strong: The Bulletproof Plan to Activate Untapped Brain Energy to Work Smarter and Think Faster-in Just Two Weeks by Dave Asprey
Rating: 9.5 out of 10
The king of Bio-hacking and the creator of Bulletproof coffee has put together a brilliant collection of his lifetime of research on how to get your brain performing at its peak.
Dave Asprey has put so much valuable knowledge in to one great read, it’s hard for anyone not to advantage from his tips. The benefits of a resilient mind truly is the cornerstone of a healthy life
and this book gives you a step by step plan on how to achieve this in 2 weeks.
As an amateur bio hacker, I was glad to know that I follow some of Dave’s concepts when it comes to diet, junk light exposure and supplements regimes. But what I dabble in is just the tip of the ice burg when it comes to Head Strong way.
After reading this, it has made me wonder how some of the information that Dave has researched over the years is not in the main stream and should be. It really is our right to know about all the things that can harm our body and brain, but large companies have the power to hide this info.
I’m amazed how much Dave goes into the cellular science all the way down to the importance of Mitochondrial health and what affects it.
Head Strong blurb
Imagine feeling like your mind is operating at its clearest and sharpest, and being able—possibly for the first time in your life—to do more in less time? What it suddenly became easier to do the very hardest things you do? Or if you could feel 100% confident about your intellect, and never again fear being the person in the room who just isn’t smart enough, or can’t remember something important? How would you treat people if the mood swings, short temper, and food cravings that disrupt your day could simply disappear?
In Head Strong, Asprey shows us that all of this is possible—and more. Using his simple lifestyle modifications (or “hacks”) to take advantage of how the structure of your brain works, readers will learn how to take their mental performance to the next level. Combining the latest findings in neuroscience and neurobiology with a hacker-inspired “get it done now” perspective, Asprey offers a program structured around key areas of brain performance that will help you:
- Power the brain with exactly what it needs to perform at its best all day long
- Eliminate the sources of “kryptonite,” both nutritional and environmental, that make the brain slower.
- Supercharge the cellular powerhouses of our brains, the mitochondria, to eliminate cravings and turn up mental focus.
- Reverse inflammation to perform better right now, then stay sharp and energized well into your golden years.
- Promote neuron growth to enhance processing speed and reinforce new learning—hotwiring your brain for success.
What are the critics saying
“Dave Asprey has masterfully utilized leading edge neuroscience as well as his extensive personal experience to create a user-friendly guide that will clearly fulfill its promise to protect, restore, and enhance brain function. Head Strong is a tour de force.” — David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM, author of #1 New York Timesbestseller, Grain Brain, and The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan
“Over the next decade, we will learn to extend the human lifespan 30-plus years. Mitochondrial health is fundamental to that goal. Head Strong is a comprehensive roadmap for maximizing brainpower and maintaining a strong, sharp, and resilient mind.” — Peter H. Diamandis, MD, New York Times Bestselling Author of Abundance and Bold; Co-Founder, Human Longevity, Inc., XPRIZE & Singularity University
“Head Strong is a powerfully important book. Dave Asprey knows what it is like to suffer, but also how to take thoughtful action to heal and protect the most important part of humans: our brains. I highly recommend it.” — Daniel Amen, MD Founder, Amen Clinics and author of Change Your Brain, Change Your Life and co-author of The Brain Warrior’s Way Daniel Amen, MD Founder, Amen Clinics and author of Change Your Brain, Change Your Life and co-author of The Brain Warrior’
What I’ve learned from this read
A tonne of useful information has come from this book and has me re-reading (re-listening via Audible) sections or making notes.
Some of the key lessons I took away were:
- Learning about how important fat in our diet for healthy working body / mind and why it’s important to eat the right type of fats.
- Things in our environment that can be harming to our health without us even knowing and how to combat these issues. These include things link different lights, air and toxins that we take in unknowingly.
- Guided Meditation designed to help your mitochondrial health and other meditation hacks from his 40 Years of Zen Research.
- Great apps and devices (free and paid) to help you hack your food response, sleep, breathing and ketone levels.
- Scientific guide to many supplements that can improve your mental and overall performance. I note Dave does mention his own Bulletproof products throughout the book but also mentions generic sources.
- Delicious Bulletproof recipes to help you to become Headstrong.
- How to stay in ketosis while still eating carbs
This is definitely a book that I will be gifting to friends that will benefit from enhancing their mental performance and getting head strong. I know this book is designed to enhance your brain function but it is really life enhancing.
Maybe cause I’m a nerd at heart (or in real life) I found all the science extremely interesting and Dave explains in it in a way that is entertaining. I also found myself laughing at some of the humour added for entertainment.
This will be added to my top book list and I highly recommend anyone who wants to learn more about how get better at life with great health.
Are you into Bio-hacking? What’s your tips? Please share below.