If you’ve been following the blog, you’ll know I love a good app for my phone or iPad. I’ve tried so many different apps for life enhancing performance, efficiency and enjoyment. Meditation apps are plentiful, but what is the best free meditation app?
When you’re looking for FREE meditation apps, you’ll find apps like Head space, Calm and Awaken which are all great apps but you’ll need a subscription or in-app purchase to use them long term.
When I say FREE app, I’m now talking about not pay a penny, subscription or need an in-app purchase for it to be a great and a complete app. Check out some of my other favourite free and paid apps here.
I’ve been considering making my own meditation app for a while as there was always something missing from each meditation app I used. It was like if I merged them all together, I could have all the feature I wanted which are:
- Built in timer with custom chime intervals and custom pre-sets
- Access to different teachers and types of guided meditation with bookmarks I can return to
- Different types of meditation music I could listen to instead of guides or bells
- A tracking system to see how long and how often I meditate for
- A meditation journal
- Listen to inspiring talks and interviews with great meditation teachers around the world
- A community that could connect, meditate together and share reviews of guides and info
That’s a lot of stuff to fit into an app and to do it all for FREE! Well they team and Insight Timers have built an app which has developed over time to be a polished and premium grade app which
covers all the above plus more. And Yes, completely free.
This app was built by meditators, for meditators. Insight timer has magnetised 2.5 Million meditators to its greatness. Every 24 hours in over 200 countries, users collectively meditate for more than 1,500,000 minutes. That’s more than 1,000 days every single day!
At any time, you can see how many people are connected to Insight timer and are meditating. After mediation, you can thank members of the community for meditating with them. So cool.
Why are so many people using Insight timer
– Did I mention It’s free (no monthly fees or lockdowns)
– Help with Sleeping
– Dealing with Anxiety and Stress
– Getting through Recovery and Addictions
– Achieving higher levels of Selflove and Compassion
– A worldwide community of meditators
All the timer features include:
– Deeply peaceful bells with polyphonic overlay
– Ambient background sounds
– 8 different activities
– Session extensions
– Interval bells
– Personalized presets
– Synchronization between devices
– Powerful stats and milestones
– Integrates with the Apple Health app
So many guided meditations
All your favorite meditation teachers including Thich Nhat Hanh, Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield.
– 5,300 free guided meditations
– 850 free meditation music tracks
– 1,200 meditation teachers
– 20 traditions and origins
– 1m reviews and ratings
– Direct feedback from Teachers
After using this app for a while now, I have no intention of building my own meditation app as Insight Timer fulfils all my app desires.
Insight timer does have the option for in-app purchase some deeply peaceful bell sounds and great tracks, but this is not required and doesn’t limit any of the above cool feature.
Insight Timer is the largest community of regular meditators on the planet. Its community generates more meditation minutes than any other app. Every day more than 1,200 of the world’s best meditation teachers upload new content including free guided meditations, beautiful meditation music, talks and podcasts.
Its available on iOS and Android and has great support base.
I really appreciate the contributors to the app and the hard work they have done to produce such an epic app.
This is the best completely free (no strings attached) meditation app everyone should have on their devices. Please download it, try it and share your feedback below.